Tuesday, March 12, 2024

LJ swim-dive: Q&A with Inji Hamdoun

LJ swimmer Inji Hamdoun (L) with her father.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Inji Hamdoun is a junior at La Jolla High. She participates on the swim team, as well as the water polo team. This conversation occurred during the Vikings' meet versus Bishop's at Coggan Pool Tues., March 12.

What are you swimming today?

I'm swimming the 50 free individual, and then I'm swimming in the 200 free relay and the 400 free relay.

How has training been?

I've been liking it. I've been feeling really good at practice, been getting some really good sets, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Can you tell it's different from your previous years, being a junior?

I would say, definitely, like the consistent practice after school is interesting. Because before, as a freshman and a sophomore, you have sixth period P.E. And that's kind of like a different energy. There's some energy that, being after school, that's a lot more committed. People are there, they're serious. They put their all into all the sets, even if it's something easy. So I really like that.

But you're doing it now as sixth period, or after school?

It was part of sixth period P.E., but now I don't have sixth period P.E. I have a math class sixth period, so now I'm doing it after school. And I like that a lot better.

Are you relaxed, or what's the difference?

It's nice to have it as a separate part of my school day, so it's my own mental thing. I get done with school, and then I go, Okay, I'm going to practice.

What do you enjoy about water polo and swimming?

As far as water polo goes, I really like the team. I've heard a lot of things about other sports teams. I don't know how many of them are true. But water polo has a very close team energy that I really like. And swim is just fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment