Friday, March 15, 2024

LJ diving: Q&A with Cole Weiss

By Ed Piper

Cole Weiss is a ninth-grade diver on the La Jolla High swim and dive team. He is brand-new to diving. This interview took place right after the dive event at the start of the swim meet against Bishop's Tues., March 12. Cole's dive coach is Sidney Russell. The dive event was the first dive competition of the season.

How was that?

It was fun. Pretty fun.

What year are you at school?

I'm a freshman.

You're just starting out?

Yeah.

Have you dived before?

No. I'm just learning right now.

What are you working on right now? What are you learning?

I'm trying to learn--I'm trying to get better on my back flips, and I need to get better on my spin flips.

What drew you to diving, to try it out for the first time?

I just thought I would be good at diving because I've done cliff diving off bridges.

That takes a lot of guts.

And Pink Wall in La Jolla.

What was the other one you said?

Bridges in Hawaii, and some cliffs.

So, for this season, are you going to enjoy it?

I think, yeah, it's going to be fun.

Good luck today.

Thank you.

Good luck this season. How many meets have you dived in this year?

This is the first one.

Your first dive?

Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment