Friday, March 22, 2024

LJ baseball: Q&A with Travis Lancaster

Junior Travis Lancaster circles under
a flyball during pregame warm-ups
Mon., March 25 vs. Mountain Range, CO.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Travis Lancaster is a 5'10", 145-pound junior on the Vikings varsity baseball team. This conversation took place before La Jolla's home game against Mar Vista Fri., March 15.

What positions are you playing?

I play outfield and pitcher so far this year.

What have you learned so far this year?

I'm working on staying balanced and staying loose when I'm up to bat, and working on hitting more line drives and not so much popping up.

Give me your overall approach going into an at-bat.

My overall approach is to stay loose and watch the ball as it comes in, making sure that I'm on time and stroking it as I'm going through it.

And defensively?

Defensively, as a pitcher, I'm just trying to throw strikes, get them to hit grounders so the defense can do their job, and pop up as well.

Then, for outfielding, I'm trying to get to the ball, if it's in the air, as fast as possible. Or get to it so it doesn't get back by me and they get extra bases.

Okay, pitching, what's your combination of pitches?

I'm fastball, both four-seam and two-seam, and then a change-up and curveball.

And then outfield, are you playing corners?

I do play all three (positions), but so far this year I've only played right field.

No comments:

Post a Comment