Thursday, August 31, 2023

LJ g VB: COVID back

By Ed Piper

COVID raised its pointy little head (my parents used to use that phrase) Wed., Aug. 30 for the La Jolla girls volleyball match scheduled at Cathedral Catholic High School.

I walked into the gym right after 6 p.m., the announced time. I couldn't tell who was working out, but I thought it might be Cathedral on one side of the net, La Jolla on the other side.

Remember, you enter the gym facility at Cathedral on the upper level, so it's different from the Big Gym at La Jolla High--you don't just walk into the action on floor level.

I went to the restroom. I thought, Well, I'll figure this thing out after my potty break.

I descended the stairs inside the structure to floor level, walked straight out on the floor--by then, I knew something was up, and there was no game--there were no rooters in the stands; in fact, no stands pulled out.

It appeared to be a group of the four CCHS coaches. I went toward who looked like the head coach, and she turned and walked to me.

"There was a COVID situation. We re-scheduled for Sept. 26," I think she said.

Flashback to Fall 2021. We were slowly emerging out of the worst of the COVID mess earlier in 2021, after shutdowns and other restrictions in 2020.

After I went to one or two LJHS sports events in Fall 2021 and, similarly, no one was playing, I realized I was going to have to go to plan B by texting coaches in advance to see if there even was going to be a match or game.

I hope we don't go back to full-blown COVID pandemic problems. I express true empathy for those affected and suffering from the pandemic--I know many have suffered.

Hopefully, we will move forward without this particular strain of COVID spreading further.

No comments:

Post a Comment