Thursday, August 17, 2023

LJ b water polo: Q & A with Soren Martin

Senior Soren Martin shoots during
rotation in day 3 of LJHS water polo
tryouts and practice at Bishop's
Wed., Aug. 16. (Photos by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

After varsity workout Wed., Aug. 16, at 2:30 p.m. at the Bishop's pool.

Q: Tell me your position.

I'm going to be playing center this season.

Q: How have the workouts been going for the team (here on day 3)? How is team effort?

Workouts have been going great. Everyone is super into it. We've got a lot of seniors this year. They're all hyping up the younger guys.

Q: Your responsibilities at your position at center?

The center is in the center, so a lot of people are going to try to get the ball in to me as much as possible. So whoever is playing center, either me or Dustin, our responsibility, usually, is to get the ball and score it. So hopefully I'll be doing that.

Q: Weights (for afternoon lifting at LJHS; pool workouts at Bishop's). How does that work in with the workouts in the pool?

Well, (Coach Tom) Atwell is super big on conditioning, so we'll be doing a lot of weights this year, and everyone is looking forward to it. We haven't been in the weight room yet, but our first session is Friday (Aug. 18).

And it's a lot of work, but everyone is really into it.

Q: You're a senior. Studies--tell me about your studies.

School has been going great. I mean, nothing to complain about.

Q: What subjects do you like?

I love sciences. Hopefully, I'll be going to college for some kind of science.

Q: Would you try to play (water polo) in college?

I will, most likely, play in college. I haven't decided yet, but I've talked to schools on the East Coast and a few schools here in California.

Q: Why would Atwell name you as one of the captains? Because he picked you as one of three guys as a leader.

I've been playing for pretty much my whole life, and I've been in La Jolla for a while. I'm in touch with all these guys. I know all of them super-well, and he chose me because I can lead these guys.

Vincent Vega (1) deflects a shot as he
defends the "cage", the floating goal,
during practice Aug.. 16.



No comments:

Post a Comment