Monday, January 8, 2024

LJ wrestling: Q&A with Nerva Mugisha

Nerva Mugisha (L) of La Jolla, 120 pounds,
contorts his body during his match
vs. Scripps Ranch Wed., Jan. 3.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Nerva Mugisha, a senior, is coming off a good junior year at LJHS. These are remarks made before the Vikings' league tri-dual meet (facing two teams separately at one location) at Scripps Ranch Wed., Jan. 3. The third team was Patrick Henry. Nerva is consistent, proficient, and respected by his teammates.

Are you wrestling varsity tonight?

Yes.

You had a good December (including tournaments and a dual).

I think.

So what's your approach going into league duals tonight?

Winning, and putting everything I learned in practice (to effect). Winning is the end result. It's what I'm going to do tonight.

Do you think there's a difference between you last year and this year? You're older and more mature, etc., etc.

Yeah, I feel like I got better this year. I feel like what I was last year is greatly improved to what I am now, and hopefully I get out there and win.

Your repertoire, how to respond when the other guy takes a certain approach (have increased)?

I try to go into my match and have my opponent react to whatever I'm doing, like fast movement. I try to move my feet a lot. Get them thinking, what am I going to do next and how am I going to do it? Not give them enough time to react.

No comments:

Post a Comment