Wednesday, January 17, 2024

LJ g water polo: Q&A with Sophia Soltero

Viking senior Sophia Soltero while listening
to coaches in a timeout during
La Jolla's game at Clairemont Tues., Jan. 16.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Sophia Soltero is a senior playing on the Viking water polo team. These comments came before La Jolla's game at the Clairemont Recreation Center vs. Clairemont Tues., Jan. 16.

Tell me about your role on the team.

I'm a 1-2 attacker (left side of an imaginary rectangle in front of the goal) , and I primarily play with Margo (Tempel) on the 1-2 side, so I'm a big shooter.

You shoot a lot?

Yes. On defense, I mainly defensing (sic). I'm usually on the top. I'm pressing the 4 (right side).

Back on offense, what are you guys trying to emphasize as a team?

We try and isolate players. We've been working on that. We're just trying to work as a team, really.

Explain isolation for a non-water polo person.

Basically, you move one person from one side to the other side of the pool, so the space on one side is more open.

Studies. What do you like to study this year?

Math and STEM-related stuff.

What do you like about math?

It comes kind of easily to me. But it's a challenge sometimes. I don't know how to explain it.

Thinking ahead, do you want to pursue it after high school?

Yeah, definitely.

Any thoughts about where you would want to go?

Well, for college, I'm thinking of going somewhere in California. Somewhere in L.A., probably.

You have all your applications out?

I'm done with all my applications.

L.A., that's a lot of schools. Where else in California?

I'm thinking about the UC system. So like UC Davis...

That's in the north (of California). Would you want to continue playing water polo?

Yes, I'm trying to get recruited.

No comments:

Post a Comment