Tuesday, January 16, 2024

LJ g water polo: Q&A with Katy Westphal

Katy Westphal, just prior
to La Jolla's game at Coronado
Thurs., Jan. 11.
(Photo by Ed Piper)

By Ed Piper

Katy Westphal is a senior on La Jolla's varsity water polo team. She is a commit to UC Davis to attend and play for the Aggies next year. This conversation took place before the Vikings' game at Coronado Thurs., Jan. 11.

Why UC Davis?

Out of all my options, I think it was the best combination of all the things I wanted. There's a really good team environment. I like the little "hometown" feel of the school, and it has the major I wanted. A few of the other schools I looked at, they didn't have the major I wanted.

What major?

I'm going into Business Management. It's pretty common, but the school I looked at, it didn't have it.

Who?

UCSB. And I just really love the team environment, and I'm looking forward to playing water polo there.

On offense, what's your position and what's your role?

I'm the center guard. It's kind of the same thing for offense, so I get the point.

The center in front of the goal--what do you have to be aware of?

Mainly, we have a press defense, so I'm just trying to front them all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment