Wednesday, January 17, 2024

LJ wrestling: Q&A with Liam Kressin

Viking 135-pounder Liam Kressin (L), a sophomore,
gets his hand raised after winning by decision,
12-11, over Leonardo Montes (R) of Calexico
in their first match of the Monte Vista Invitational
Saturday morning, Jan. 13. (Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Liam Kressin, a sophomore, wrestles at 132 pounds for La Jolla High's wrestling squad. His sister, Hannah, a senior, is also trying wrestling this year at 125 pounds. This interview was conducted immediately following a bout in the Monte Vista Invitational Sat., Jan. 13.

What are your thoughts?

It was close. He kept rolling through on my sets, and he was pretty strong. But I just kept trying to stay on top.

There were a couple of reverses at the end? (The referee conferred at the scorer's table for several minutes before declaring Liam's win.)

Yeah, I reversed him and got two near falls, and he reversed me and got two near falls. So it was back-and-forth, but I was up by one (at the finish).

You're a sophomore?

Yes.

Are you surprised at how well you're doing this year? (Only varsity wrestlers went to this invitational.) You've really come up to varsity.

Um, yeah, but I've been practicing a lot. I feel like I've put the work in.

How did you get your sister into wrestling?

She watched me do it all last year and it looked pretty fun. I said, "You could try it."

So you guys talk about it, workouts and afterwards? It comes up at dinner, or whatever?

Yeah, we practice with each other sometimes.

Kressin (R) tries to stand up during his bout
with Montes.


No comments:

Post a Comment