Monday, January 29, 2024

LJ wrestling: Q&A with Matisse Pickett

Matisse Pickett (R) with
teammate Abraham Sierra
at the Willie Jones Jr.
Tourney Sat., Jan. 27.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Matisse Pickett wrestles in the 120-pound weight division for the La Jolla Vikings. She is a junior, and three-year veteran of the team. This conversation took place during the morning at the Willie Jones Jr. Memorial Tournament/City Conference Finals held at Mira Mesa High Sat., Jan. 27.

On Jan. 24, Matisse won a long, grueling match by decision, 6-5, with an escape to break the tie, in a dual meet at St. Augustine.

How did you stay at it?

I just kept making sure I was aware of the time and the score, and I knew that I had to keep wrestling hard to win.

You take this very seriously, don't you?

Yeah, I don't mess around.

How does that show in your practice, your thinking?

I guess it really just helps me in the rest of my life, to make sure I stay healthy and active and have a good mindset on things, because it affects my wrestling.

Your dad joked last year, "I have a daughter named Matisse. You're going to ask if my other daughters are named after painters." How come you don't have a sister named Monet?

I have a brother, and they were about to name his Picasso, but then they realized he would get bullied for that, so they didn't name him that.

Thoughts on wrestling today?

I'm excited, a little nervous, but we'll see how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment