Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

I'm thankful for all of you who make this writing and taking photos enjoyable. I will spend time this afternoon at Thanksgiving dinner with my granddaughter Alexis, who started all this in Fall 2004 by trying out and making the Viking varsity cheer squad as a freshman. At games, she would complain that I was embarrassing her by taking photos of her in front of her teammates. But then after games she would eagerly ask to see the photos! I learned this game early on, and that fueled my taking more photos.

At the time, I was using a manual film camera. Then I bought a point-and-shoot, which was my first step into the digital age. Then in June 2005, I splurged and bought my first DSLR (Digital Single-Lens Reflex) camera, my wife taking a major gulp at the cost--which was far more than I had ever paid for a film/SLR camera (the latter long before I met her).

I remember I bought a small memory card for $89, I think, with the camera (a Canon Rebel XT) at Costco. The card only held 1 GB! That was a big deal 10 years ago. Now I use 32 GB cards.

I'm thankful to God for my health, our marriage, our family, our two little grandkids, Luke and Violet, who are (almost) 3 and 16 months. (Alexis is now 24.) I got to take photos of them on Grandpa and Grandma's outing with them yesterday morning at the playground at La Jolla Shores. So much fun.

Be grateful, and I look forward to seeing you and posting photos of the impending winter sports. Say hi anytime when you see the big, bald, bearded guy in shorts and shirt tails hanging out at La Jolla High sports events. I always enjoy that, even if I don't respond immediately. I might be thinking about the camera. I'll take more time this year to relate to all of you, enjoy the present, and support the La Jolla High student-athletes that this all centers around.

Keep in mind this is a sidelight for me, not my career job or occupation. I teach juvenile court high school students full-time during the week. So if I don't post photos immediately, or I don't cover your event, my apologies, but I do what I can and what I choose to cover. It's pretty much on my own nickel, which I willingly choose to do--including 200 miles round-trip for a football game in El Centro, etc. (though I do the La Jolla Village News stories, and occasionally La Jolla Light stories, for pay).


Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment