Sunday, November 16, 2014

LJ FB: Christian High preview - Jason Carter

La Jolla football coach Jason Carter was dismissive of Christian High's quarterback's abilities. I have not seen this before.

"Who? He has 2,000 yards passing (tone of voice dismissive). He's an average quarterback. He has a slow release," said Carter. I was a little surprised at what I was hearing in a weekend phone chat about David Jeremiah, Christian's offensive leader.

Interestingly, Jeremiah is the grandson of the prominent Shadow Mountain pastor of the same name. The elder David Jeremiah has had a TV and radio ministry for years called "Turning Point". His son, the father of the quarterback at Christian, was, like his son, a talented quarterback, according to information gained on the web.

Further, said, Carter, "I've been getting this from film. Other coaches are getting the same thing. Other coaches want us to beat Christian. I don't know why. I'm getting this from different coaches. They say he's an average quarterback even though he has 2,000 yards. They want us to beat them."

I asked Carter about watching film. "That started last night (Friday night, after the first-round playoff win over Santa Fe Christian). You get film by making friends (building a network) with coaches."

"Our players are looking forward to playing a 10-0 team (which Christian is). They want to end their season."

The Vikings (6-5) play the second-round CIF Division III playoff game Friday, Nov. 21, at Granite Hills High School in El Cajon. It is a long way from home. I know. I used to take photos for eastcountysports.com. I took photos at a game there. Christian High was the host team.


Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment