Monday, November 24, 2014

LJ g BB: Reflection

Madeleine Gates (right) defends
against Bishop's Imani Littleton
Jan. 11 in the biggest test of her
basketball career. Lady Knights
coach Marlon Wells wanted
Maddy to play on his travel team.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


Once I posted Madeleine Gates' decision to forgo basketball and concentrate on volleyball, I had a flood of thoughts and feelings about the occasion. When you view young people through a camera lens from right at the baseline of the basketball court, you see expressions of exultation and grimaces, you hear side comments and mutterings under the breath, and you begin to feel you personally know the student-athletes.

From having taken, viewed, and processed tens of thousands of photos of La Jolla High athletes over the past 11 school years, I am always a little surprised when a student I recognize from my close-up viewing through my lens passes by me on campus as if they don't know me. Because, of course, they don't. They probably have seen me with my camera, and now notepad. But we may not have started up a relationship via a greeting, a conversation, a text, or a Facebook message. It's only appropriate that they keep on walking.

Madeleine Gates is a La Jolla High student who I feel I'm somewhat familiar with. Her parents and I have said hello, her mom is so helpful with game time changes or summer league locations--I'm going to miss that a lot in the coming season. I feel like I've watched the 6'2" girl who can run an entire basketball game and have plenty left at the end, grow up from being a "baby" as a freshman. She, apparently, had never played basketball formally before. Last March she was the major cog in the Vikings' girls basketball team's march into the CIF Finals. By then, she could dribble with her right hand to the basket, something she couldn't do in her freshman season. She now was adept at shooting free throws--after putting up some airballs as a 9th-grader. She had learned a lot more about not getting pushed around by more physical girls on opposing teams.

I remarked to Madeleine at one point last winter, after she collected 22 rebounds in a game: "Madeleine, that is really something. You got 22 rebounds, and you're a sophomore. I didn't have that many in a game as a senior when I was in high school."

I like to think I've helped Madeleine gain some experience with the media in her two basketball seasons. I interviewed her for my La Jolla Light and blog stories on more than one occasion. At first, she was pretty quiet, reticent to speak and, really, not knowing what to say as a freshman. But with repeated experience and the maturity that comes with growing, she grew more comfortable and wasn't caught off-guard when she was asked questions.

I teach in the public school system, and Madeleine is a pleasure to watch in sports and to interact with on the sidelines. She is one of those people who is just herself, not showy or attention-gathering. She is a credit to her mom and dad, Amy and Michael, and a solid representative of the La Jolla High School community. My parents brought us children up to value a public school education and its contribution toward our society, and Madeleine is one more reason that public school works.


Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment