Wednesday, November 19, 2014

LJ FB: Link in the chain

I eyed Collin Rugg wearing a large-link chain around his neck to the pre-game walkthrough at Torrey Pines High Nov. 14. I asked someone what it was about. They didn't know.
 
I asked Collin before he went into the walkthrough with the coaches before the first-round CIF game against Santa Fe Christian. He said as he hurried away, "They pick one guy each day to carry it around."
 
I'm scratching my head. (Not much hair to cushion the fingernail effect. Ouch.)
 
Three nights later, I'm sitting at my writing/photo station and think, Oh, there are links in a chain. Each member of the team is a link in the chain.
 
So I Facebooked Collin. He said yes, that's what the chain represents. It was started four weeks ago.
 
I asked him in a follow-up to elaborate.
 
"So Coach (Tyler) Roach (offensive coordinator) brought chain links," according to Rugg, "and he said, 'Each person is a link on this team, and when we put them together, it's a chain (necklace). But if one chain link breaks, the whole necklace falls apart."
 
 
Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment