Monday, November 17, 2014

LJ BB: "Pop"

La Jolla boys basketball coach Paul Baranowski has a good sense of humor. He enjoyed my calling him "Pop" earlier this year on my blog, in reference to Gregg Popovich, the reticent-to-say-too-much coach of the San Antonio Spurs.

The text that spurred (sorry for the pun) me to refer to the Viking head coach as "Pop" was the following on May 20, 2014, in reply to my question asking for an update on his team:

"Nothing to comment on as of yet. We are just trying to learn to play together as a new group."

So, in looking back six months later in clearing out my text messages, I appreciate Paul having given me something ("trying to learn to play together"), even after his saying he didn't have anything to comment on.

The reason this is current is because Popovich had a comment at the end of last week that fit right into the good-natured kidding involved with Baranowski. Asked if he thought his Spurs were doing some things well, Popovich said to the reporter: "I don't have anything. That's your guys' job to do. I need to find something to get on their butts about."

The Spurs have a Big 3 that is growing old while still winning the NBA title this past June: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili. All three are in their late 30's, which is ancient in basketball (because of the wear-and-tear on your body).

Will the Vikings have a Big 3 when they start their season Dec. 1? Ladd Castellano, Reed Farley, and Owen Porter?


Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment