Wednesday, October 25, 2023

LJ b water polo: Mistaken identity

The real Weston Bancroft balances a ball
on his nose like a seal during La Jolla's
easy 14-7 win over Scripps Ranch
at Coggan Pool Mon., Oct. 23, 2023.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

On Oct. 17, La Jolla's Weston Bancroft told me, "I'm Weston Bancroft", as I took photos of him during the Vikings' 10-4 win over Coronado at Bishop's.

I didn't believe him, because Bancroft was the only guy in the huddle who repeatedly flashed "LJ" signs with his fingers, and made funny faces while I aimed my camera at team members. I thought he was just goofing around.

I had been mistakenly identifying him on my blog the entire season as "A.J. Schoenberger", who the roster I was given by LJHS Coach Tom Atwell a month ago said was number eight.

But then, at the Vikings' game at Coggan Pool against Bishop's Tues., Oct. 24, I came to truly believe. I looked at my faulty roster card identifying Bancroft as cap number two. I surmised that something was wrong.

I asked the girl at the scorer's table, "What number is Weston Bancroft?" "Number eight." It didn't make sense that Bancroft, one of the three senior captains for La Jolla, and a major part of their rotation, wasn't a number I kept seeing in my action photos of games.

I put two and two together, and realized the player I was identifying as "A.J. Schoenberger" in photos--the number-eight I was given--was actually Bancroft.

I asked the girl, "When did number eight and number two" (the real A.J. Schoenberger) "change numbers?" "I don't know, probably the start of the season."

No wonder Weston Bancroft was telling me a week ago who he was, while he continued to do goofy things like balance a ball on his nose as he sat on the bench during the game (as he did Mon., Oct. 23, during a blowout win over Scripps Ranch).

He told me last week after a game at Bishop's, "I have an extra chromosome." He is a funny guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment