Thursday, January 18, 2018

LJ wrestling: Q & A with co-captain Christophe Naviaux, 170 pounds

Viking 170-pounder Christophe Naviaux, with
his parents Jacques (L) and Jeanine (R)
during the Senior Day presentation.
(Photo by Ed Piper)
By Ed Piper

Christophe Naviaux

Co-captain, LJHS wrestling team
Weight class: 170 pounds
Year in school: Senior
Result Wed., Jan. 17, 2018, in LJ's home dual meet against St. Augustine: Pinned his opponent

EP: Christophe, congrats on the pin, as you multi-task.


CN: Thank you (as he rolled up mats following the meet).

EP: Walk me through it.

CN: All right. During that match, I was looking for hand control initially. The kid (Jose Corral for the Saints) was doing a pretty good job of keeping my hands off him. He took his poor shot and I had the option to go around and not let him back up. But I decided to let him back up, 'cause I wanted to take a shot on him ("shooting" = lunging for the opponent's legs). It worked out. He took his poor shot, and I caught an arm. I just scooped his head and threw him over onto his back. Pretty easy match, honestly, but just glad I've never lost to Saints now.

EP: Okay, team: You're a senior, you're one of the leaders.

CN: Yes.

EP: How would you see today overall with your team facing St. Augustine (a 45-27 loss after being down 18-0 at the beginning on three forfeits)?

CN: I think we wrestled pretty good. You know, a couple of matches here and there could have gone differently, and if we had a couple of guys here healthy, I think we could of pulled a "W". But you can't complain. So, it was a good day.

EP: Where are you (individually) as far as form, outlook?

CN: On the season, we're about one month away from CIF. I'm looking forward to placing, getting top four there and get a chance to go to Masters.

EP: Are you feeling on Jan. 17 like you're putting together the stuff you wanted to, looking back on the season to the point now where you would want to be?

CN: I'm always looking to improve. But I think that where I'm at, I can't complain too much. I just gotta keep working on the little things and improve my overall game.

EP: What's one thing you do in your regimen, your daily and weekly schedule, that helps you, that you really see as a boost?

CN: Wrestling practice has never been easy. It's two hours. But this year we've incorporated a lot of morning workouts. I think that contribution of getting that daily is improving my cardio, which is enabling me to better sustain myself through the whole match...like I have (not had) in years past. I have a lot more endurance. I'm lasting all three periods, six minutes, and I feel that I could still wrestle at the end of them. I think this year I'm just better overall endurance, cardio-wise. That's the thing that has really put me over the top this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment