Thursday, January 18, 2018

LJ wrestling: Benji Torres, 138 pounds

Freshman Benji Torres, warming up
for his match at 138 pounds behind
the Viking team bench.
(Photo by Ed Piper)
By Ed Piper

Benji Torres

Weight class: 138 pounds
Year in school: Freshman
Age: 14

After La Jolla's home dual wrestling meet against St. Augustine


EP: Today you fought and you had a good match. Talk about it.


BT: He (Jose Pimentel of the Saints) kept bringing me down, but I didn't want to get pinned in the first period. I stood up and I somewhat heard what the coaches (in the corner of the mat) were telling me.


EP: What were the coaches telling you?


BT: Stand up. Put my knees up. I lost by points.


EP: You went (to tournaments) Monday (Jan. 15) and Saturday (Jan. 13).


BT: Monday, we went to San Diego High School. I got pinned the first match in 30 seconds. Then the second one, I lasted till the second round, then I got pinned. (Tournaments are double elimination, giving each wrestler a minimum of two matches.)


EP: How about Saturday?


BT: I got pinned my two matches in the first round.


EP: So Monday was better?


BT: Yeah.


EP: What was something you could take from those two days, like Coach (Kellen Delaney) was saying?


BT: Some of them (opponents at the two tournaments) had the same tactics, but I remembered that. I got on my knees.


EP: So you were ready for it?


BT: Yeah.


EP: What's a strength you have, a skill that you have in your wrestling?


BT: Getting up and trying not to get pinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment