Saturday, January 13, 2018

LJ b BB: Interview with Diego Solis

Diego Solis, before the Vikings'
game at Lincoln Jan. 3.
(Photo by Ed Piper)
By Ed Piper

Diego Solis, LJ b BB
Freshman guard
5'7"

Family quote: "I wanted (brother) Gabe and Diego to retain something of their Latino roots, so I wanted names that would do that." Bo Solis, father

Interview after LJ game at St. Augustine Fri., Jan. 12

EP: Diego, thanks for talking. Hey, tough score, but you guys were still playing hard at the end. How do you keep doing that? What do you do to mentally stay in there?

DS: When you get an opportunity to play, you should always play your hardest. That's how I think it is.

EP: You have a knack, when guys are going up to dunk (of trying to knock the ball away). You did it to (6'10") Taeshon Cherry (of Foothills Christian). Tonight, twice. Before the guy is going up, you try to bat the ball away? What are you looking for? How do you anticipate that?

DS: When I was playing AAU basketball, once a kid dunked, and the energy of the game totally changed. The other team was going crazy. I just never want that to happen again. So I know if it can stop the energy, I'll take the foul.

EP: Are you watching... Are you trying to tap the ball before it goes up?

DS: Well, yeah. I try to steal the ball on the floor. I wasn't as tall as that kid, so I wanted to knock it out early.

EP: Several weeks ago I asked you what was something you enjoyed about being on varsity, and you said playing with your brother (Gabe, a junior guard). Your brother hasn't been able to play a lot yet, with his back (injured). Put that into words, what it means being on the same team as your brother.

DS: He's getting off an injury. Stuff happens. Playing up with older kids is fun. The competition is as good as it can be. I just love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment