Monday, January 22, 2018

LJ g water polo: MC Rendon, goalie

By Ed Piper

MC (MariCarmen) Rendon
Year in school: Sophomore
Position: Goalie
Fast fact: MC's sister Leslie, a senior, is one of two team captains for the Vikings...Their mother's family is from Puebla, Mexico, in which the capital is famous for having 365 churches, one for each day of the year.
La Jolla 9, Oaks Christian 4, Sat., Jan. 20, in the America's Finest City tourney at Coronado Community Center. Day 2 of the tournament, after going 1-1 in pool play on Day 1.

EP: MC, you went the whole way (in goal). That's a long game.

MC: Yeah.

EP: You guys (MC and fellow starting goalie Shauna Franke, who was injured) weren't sharing duties. Did you pace yourself? Did you go to the extra tank? How'd you propel yourself to have enough energy?

MC: I took advantage of the breaks, and I would take really deep breaths, and I would get really confident for the next quarter and tell myself I would do good.

EP: You (La Jolla) won, 9-4. You pulled away at the end. You were leading by only two goals at one point. How did you do it as a team to pull away and put that team away?

MC: I guess we all realized that we are capable of beating them. So we tried our hardest to get back and score.

EP: Who was a teammate who stepped up today?

MC: I'd say (junior) Katy (Koenig).

EP: She had some key goals.

MC: Yeah.

EP: And she's got some gumption in there, too. A little spirit... Your family is from Puebla?

MC: Yeah.

EP: Did you live there at all?

MC: No, I've just gone for vacation. I haven't been there in four years.

EP: Your mom grew up  in Puebla?

MC: Yeah.

EP: She must be really proud of you and your sister, playing on the same team.

MC: Yeah. (laughing)

EP: How is that, playing on the same team as your sister?

MC: Well, because of my sister's birthday, she stays down a year (on younger teams). So in water polo, I've been playing with her ever since I was little. So I've always played with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment