Friday, December 15, 2023

LJ b BB: Q&A with Eli Vaz

Eli Vaz shoots a free throw
in the second half against
Hoover Dec. 21 in the
Sweetwater Tourney.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Guard Eli Vaz is the second-leading scorer for La Jolla with 13.1 points per game through the Vikings' first 11 games. These comments came after La Jolla's 66-47 win over Vincent Memorial at home Thurs., Dec. 14.

Your focus on the offense: what do you think of?

I'm thinking about moving the ball, looking for open shots, seeing who's open and trying to regulate the offense, get my teammates involved.

Then where does your shot fit into that, your overall scheme?

I think if I pass the ball and relocate to the corner, I can hit those. I can drive, drive, drive. Stop and pop. Midrange.

How about defensively?

Defensively, I'm trying to pick up my man at half court, get a couple of steals, help the offense, fastbreak layups, put some points on the board. Anything to help my team.

And then what are you guys doing overall defensively?

Defensively, we're doing a mix of everything: man-to-man, zone... We're working on zone right now, trying to get better, try to get some stops.

Congrats on the win.

Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment