Monday, September 17, 2018

LJ FB: Smith - how he did it

The Vikings' Max Smith makes one of his
monster stops against Scripps Ranch.
He had 14 tackles, including
2 sacks.
(Photos by Joseph Smith)
 
By Ed Piper

Max Smith, the 5'11", 179-pound linebacker for La Jolla, tells us how he jumped across the line and grabbed the ball away Scripps Ranch's offense in the last minute, leading to the Vikings coming from behind to win the game.

The Falcons lined up in the "victory formation", a "V" shape to protect the quarterback as he kneels to run out the clock. In every case but this night, it's a done deal and the team in possession wins.

"I told the ref I was going to fire off at the snap," says the sophomore, "'cause in my mind I still saw we had a chance. (La Jolla trailed, 10-7, with 51.7 seconds left.)

"Then, as the ball snapped, I knew the (Falcons') QB would take his time to take a knee, so I dove at the ball looking to take it and get one more chance."

Normally, at his linebacker position, Smith would line up off the line.

Says Max: "I decided to line up on the line in the A gap, so I could be the first to get at the ball."

Smith secured the ball. La Jolla took over possession on the Scripps Ranch  31-yard line. On the next play, Viking quarterback Diego Solis threw a pass to Smith in the middle of the field streaking toward the goal line, and La Jolla won, 13-10.

Smith moves up the left sideline
as he increasingly shows his
prowess on the offensive side
of the ball, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment