Monday, September 10, 2018

I think I'm in love

By Ed Piper

I think I'm in love.

I entered upon Kit Carson Park Sat., Sept. 8, for La Jolla's cross country competition in the big Bronco Roundup, and I was immediately taken in by the green expanses of woods, fields, beauty (despite the massive traffic for the meet).

Writing this now, I realize it connected me partly with the green, open places we would camp in when I was a child--with fond memories of Hume Lake, dawn patrols to Irvine and O'Neill parks, a long trip to our friends' the Balfours in Washington State via the chilly Washougal River in Oregon.

But on this Saturday morning, my imagination was fired by the turns and areas tucked back in on the roads of the park, which I had never ventured into before. Heck, I hardly knew Kit Carson Park existed.

Leaving the house early on a Saturday morning after being gone the entire Friday evening covering the Vikings' football games is not a point-gathering option for me.

I've told my wife, both for the first Crawford Invitational cross country meet that occurred two weeks, now for the Bronco event hosted by Rancho Bernardo High's team, that these are events I've never attended in my 15 years covering La Jolla High sports, and at 64 years of age, I'm ready to start tackling some of them.

What entered my imagination immediately upon turning left off Bear Parkway in Escondido, which I have been on many times in my quarter century of living in San Diego, was the potential for an enjoyable visit with my wife some time in the future.

Inside the park, with thousands of hyper parents running to various points on the two-mile course, and 37 schools worth of student athletes moving about from here to there between the 12 races (six female, six male, split into varsity/JV/novice divisions), it was hectic.

I enjoy sports. Frankly, I don't enjoy the hyper-parent thing. I understand their heightened fervor for their kid, but interacting with some is such an emotional thing these days--we love our kids, but we dote on them way too much, like they're fragile or they're going to crack right in front of our eyes.
"The eyes of Kansas are upon you"--three generations of family are there to hug, commiserate, console young athletes. I think the attention is great--I just would rather interact with people when they're calm, rational, in their right minds.

I found my way to the course finish line before I found the "LJHS Cross Country" tent. Despite my comments on over-energy, running, cross country, and high school sports are still a very positive avenue for our young people. If it weren't, I wouldn't be devoting this much energy to it.

The Vikings' head coach, Mandy Benham, was beaded heavily with sweat, with the 86-degree Escondido heat and climbing. She is very attentive to her runners. They respond to consistency and continuity--the characteristics of programs at La Jolla High that are successful.

All in all, the venture to Kit Carson was a glimpse into a wide, expansive park that holds potential for some lovely visits--even some quite reading, devotionals, and reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment