Saturday, September 29, 2018

LJ FB: In-N-Out regimen

By Ed Piper

For recent La Jolla High football dates, I tried a regimen of In-N-Out burgers. The results were so-so, at best.

The "regimen" started after the Santa Fe Christian game August 31 in week three of the season at home. Hungry, having expended a lot of energy in writing down the play-by-play on my notepad as I patrolled the sideline for my game story, I looked forward to one of my favorite hamburgers.

There was a celebratory spirit leaving Edwards Field because of the brave drive senior quarterback Carsten Fehlan led in the last 1:58 resulting in a touchdown that made a close game, despite the 16-14 loss to the Eagles, who quite frankly usually send out a more talented team (with all the advantages a private school has for attracting talent).

The Vikings played at Del Norte Sept. 7 in week 4. Two missed kicks in waning seconds kept a sloppy La Jolla effort against the "Little Train That Could" Nighthawks from being redeemed. I drove right across the 15 freeway at the other end of Camino Del Norte in Rancho Bernardo, and it was a party atmosphere to soothe my soul: students and cheerleaders from both Del Norte and Rancho Bernardo were present, and despite the narrow loss, I felt picked up by the energy and activity.

I tried to charge my phone, which was on zero, in my car in the parking lot while my order was being prepared. Then I wolfed down a "Protein Style" (lettuce wrap), filling the bill.

The game had been marked by an annual Military Night observance by Del Norte, with the Nighthawks players posing with the veterans and families of deceased veterans whose names adorned each of the backs of their football jerseys. It was very moving. Going to one of my favorite hamburger places completed, for me, some of the feeling I had at taking photos of some of the participants at the game close-up.

The next week, Sept. 14, the Vikings hosted Scripps Ranch in week 5. I went to In-N-Out on Damon Ave. in Pacific Beach before and after the game--a little excessive, don't you think? I told my cashier before the game what I was doing. He thought it was pretty energetic.

After the game, a narrow 13-10 win on a miracle play by Max Smith to take the ball away from the Falcons in the "victory" formation in the last minute, In-N-Out seemed really fitting.

This week, I jumped the gun on game Friday and used a Carl's Jr. coupon that came in the big pile of junk mail we get each week to buy not two, but four big hamburgers for myself and my wife. I bought two Angus Six Dollar Thick Burgers. I also purchased two Big Carl burgers. I ate one of each on the way home Thursday evening, Sept. 27. (That was a mess on my lap.) The two-patty Big Carl was the better--super moist, with cheese, tomato, lettuce, as the woman at the clerk informed me. Luscious.

My wife ate part of the other Big Carl that night. For lunch while substitute-teaching on game day, my wife put the second Six Dollar Thick Burger in my soft pouch. I have to be honest, by game time, I didn't want to see another hamburger any time soon. My wife got some ham and cheese sliders at the market for my pregame drive to Morse, where the Vikings lost a wooly game, 54-25, to some spectacular running backs for the Tigers.

So, I went 1-2 on the In-N-Out front, 0-1 with the Carl's Jr. day-ahead dietetic plan. Back to quesadillas on a whole wheat tortilla (a current healthy favorite)? Maybe eat more buns? (All the In-N-Out's were Protein Style with lettuce wrap to cut down on carbohydrates. My doctor would be pleased.)

No comments:

Post a Comment