Friday, December 8, 2017

LJ b soccer: Furlanis on Portuguese and soccer

By Ed Piper

Marco Furlanis plays near a teammate whose mother tongue is German, and behind a teammate whose native language is Spanish--Castilian Spanish from Spain.

No big deal for the La Jolla High senior. "I learned Portuguese at a young age," says the Viking soccer captain, whose mother is from Brazil. He grew up in an environment with multiple languages, so he is like a duck in water.

The German-speaker is the team's striker, fellow senior and captain Luis Goehler. At times last season, one could hear Goehler's father Thomas calling out words of encouragement or instruction to his son from the stands in German. Dad seems to have taken a quieter approach so far this season.

Luis' younger brother Nick is not too far away, either, the big, husky American football enthusiast a starter on defense on the Vikings' soccer team this year at left back.

The Castilian speaker is Pablo Jativa, who assistant coach Victor Zendejas, a native Spanish-speaker, calls out words of instruction to in Spanish.

"I've never lived in Brazil, but I feel that there is a part of me that has," says Furlanis, a center midfielder alongside Jack MacDorman, both positioned behind Jativa. Marco has visited his mother's home country.

"Most of my family is there (in Brazil). Visiting feels normal," he says.

"We do speak Portuguese at home, mostly with my mom though my dad has picked it up.

"I give my grandma (Maria) calls every week and talk to her in Portuguese. It's nice having something diverse in my life, and I feel that speaking a different language has made me a different person."

He says he hasn't seen a candomble or capoeira performance in person, but, "I've heard they are really cool."

In reference to his assistant coach's humorous use of nicknames and other quips, Furlanis says, "Victor is a funny person, but when it comes to soccer he is very serious."

La Jolla's boys soccer program has experienced a period of continuity and success under the four-year guardianship of head coach Marcos Gonzales and Zendejas. "I don't know any of (the) past coaches but I feel that Marcos and Victor have done a lot for the soccer program at LJHS. They have the right mindset and they want to see us succeed."

Regarding the team's cohesiveness after three games, the senior says, "The communication is good. The coaches are doing their jobs by telling the captains, Luis and I, what to do and how to do it.

"I feel like there could be more communication (among teammates) while the game is going on. That is something Luis and I are working on."

Sounding like a true public relations man, Furlanis enthuses, "I feel like the team is coming along very well. Everyone gets along, there are many friendships, and we click. The win against the Jewish Academy (5-0 on Dec. 5) was an extra boost of motivation."

No comments:

Post a Comment