Friday, September 4, 2015

LJ FB: "Levy"

Jonathan Levenson (1) signals quarterback Casey
Brown (7) for the ball in the first half.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


Senior Jonathan Levenson realizes his responsibility to help lead his younger teammates on the La Jolla High football team.

"I've started on varsity since my sophomore year, and I've seen how the seniors really lead the team and make a big difference," he said prior to the Vikings' week-two game against Bishop's. "I believe it's my job as a senior to be a positive role model and take charge of the team. I think my personal role is to be the enforcer and to be very vocal."

"Levy", as he is called by teammates and coaches, has been audibly and visibly vocal with his teammates during warm-ups before La Jolla's scrimmage against Imperial Aug. 22 and the Vikings' opener at Country Day Aug. 28.

Looking ahead to the Knights Fri., Sept. 4--Bishop's is the defending CIF Division 4 champion--the 6'1", 170-pound two-way player said, "I think we have a lot to improve on, but from last week our team learned our strengths and weaknesses.

"Our strengths being that we are a very tough team and like to play scrappy, and a weakness being the small amount of players we have.

"This week I feel confident we're going to come out strong and ready for anything they throw at us."

The fair-haired running back and defensive back, 17 years old, likes history in the classroom. His favorite food is pizza, and for dessert "definitely" frozen yogurt. He listens to all genres of music.

He says he's faster than last season, and he has added considerable muscle and mass, increasing his weight in the off-season from 150 to 170 pounds--a 13 percent uptick.

"I feel a lot more confident on the field," said Jonathan, "and feel the power."

Evaluating himself in the win over Country Day, he said, "I think I did good on offense getting open and making plays. I want to work on being a little more aggressive off the ball defensively."

"We believe that with their (Bishop's) low numbers that the game will be won in the second half," said Levenson. "We preach a lot on conditioning and being in shape, so we can tire them out throughout the game and put points up. "Also, Trenton Fudge will be out this week with a shoulder injury (AC joint), so our receivers will step up big."


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

 

 

 
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment