Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Hoop Dreams: Part 1

By Ed Piper

In search of sacred roundball knowledge...

October 2019

A note appeared in the local paper advising that Sierra Canyon, one of the top high school basketball teams in the nation, was going to play in the San Diego Tip-off Classic at Montgomery High again this fall. The Trailblazers, with Bronny James, the son of LeBron, and Zaire Wade, the son of Dwayne, feature a star-studded roster that took a trip to China in the summer. Last year's edition of the team, featuring guard Scotty Pippen Jr. and K.J. Martin, the son of former NBA star Kenyon, put on a show in three nights. It was a feast for local basketball aficionados, including myself.

Mon., Nov. 4

Took a drive after subbing from Canyon Crest to Montgomery in hopes of locating Ed Martin (my great grandfather's name was Ed Martin Piper). He hadn't returned my text some weeks ago. Do you know what traffic in San Diego County is like at that hour? Yes, you do. It took me almost an hour to get to Aztec land (the mascot for Montgomery). The volleyball coach told me he was at meetings all day with other athletic directors.

My purpose was to ask Martin how he had managed to coax Coach Andre Chevalier of Sierra Canyon to have his team play humble Montgomery High again on the opening night of the local tournament. On night two, the Blazers face St. Augustine, just like last year. (They blew out the Saints after early resistance from Chibuko Agbo, Luke Haupt, and company.) Then, on night number three, Cathedral Catholic provides the opposition.

To salve my wounds, I drove to Otay Farms a short distance away (I taught near here for years). I bought a birote (roll) and freshly-made frijoles refritos, and dipped the one in the other as I munched on the lonely drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment