Sunday, February 4, 2024

LJ b BB: Q&A with Michael Contreras

Michael Contreras (center), with fellow
senior guard Eli Vaz (left) before
La Jolla's home game against
Madison Fri., Feb. 2.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Michael Contreras is a senior guard for the La Jolla High boys basketball team. His relentless drives to the basket, often from the right side of the offense down the baseline, drive opponents nuts and force them to try to stop him--or he will score, if it takes one, two, even three repeated attempts once he arrives in the paint.

These comments were shared before the Vikings' home game Fri., Feb. 2, against Madison, a non-league opponent.

You shoot with both hands. What's going on there?

When I first started off, I was more dominant with my right hand, but I ended up switching to my left hand to shoot the ball. So I just started shooting with my left hand. My right hand is like my dominant hand, so I dribble the basketball with that hand.

Your right hand is your dominant hand? You're an actual lefty, right?

I write with my right hand, but I shoot with my left.

What do you bat with?

I bat with my left.

Writing, you write righthanded?

I write righthanded. I bat with my left. I throw a baseball with my right. I swing a golf (club) with my left hand.

When you were younger, what did you do? You've obviously played basketball for a while.

When I was younger, I would just shoot with both hands, like, right and left. But I ended up picking my left hand, and I stuck with it, because it felt better.

You're super aggressive. You drive to the basket a lot, like nobody else on your team. What is your thinking on that?

You know, just providing for the team the best I can. Coach (Paul Baranowski) looks at me as a scorer. So getting to the basket is something I can do to put points on the board.

Defense. What do you guys do as far as a scheme?

Defense, we're pretty much always in man-to-man.

No comments:

Post a Comment