Thursday, October 13, 2022

LJ FH 1, Scripps Ranch 1 - LJ wins on tiebreaker - 10/12



Photos by Ed Piper

La Jolla defeated long-time power Scripps Ranch on a tiebreaker after tying 1-1 in regulation time Wed., Oct. 12 at Scripps. The Falcons didn't look like a long-time dominant team, but on the other hand, everybody wants to knock off a champion and the Vikings did that. It was only one game during the regular season, but LJHS coach Amanda Combs Warford--with her delightful little son Ethan stealing the spotlight on the sidelines--has built La Jolla up to be a strong program. It's only a matter of time before the Vikings, linked to Combs Warford's Coastal Clash club team, become recognized for how good they are.

My namesake was playing for the Falcons, a girl named Piper. I've had several girls (6 or so) named Piper recently in my classes when I substitute-teach, and I kind of play with the classes--I introduce myself as "Piper" (instead of Mr. Piper), and I let the class try to figure out if that is my first name or my last name.





Vivien Cox (9)










No comments:

Post a Comment