Friday, October 7, 2022

LJ 100th anniversary: Being Frank

Hank Hansen (3) does "double duty" (he's also
a football player) as a baserunner in La Jolla's
baseball game versus San Ysidro March 7.
(Photos by Ed Piper)

By Ed Piper

The most-interviewed staff member at La Jolla High for the school's 100th anniversary--at least in online sources I consulted--has to be baseball coach Gary Frank, who graduated in 1990. In the fall season in 1989, Gary's senior year, Gene Edwards coached Viking football for the 29th and last season.

Edwards is revered, I would say, by staff and alumni who came under his spell and watched his enormous effect on students at the school. Maggie Quita-Mulkins (see my separate story) speaks glowingly of Edwards and other teacher/coaches during her student and teacher/coach days.

Said Frank in my own conversation with him, "The traditions got passed down from generation to generation. I take it as a big responsibility to link to all the new stuff that has been going on for 100 years."

Continued Frank, "I take a lot of pride in the fact that I'm still part of it (La Jolla's heritage) and it is bigger than I am. I try to impress on the kids that it is a big-time family. People are realizing it's a big deal with the 100-year anniversary."

Gary's school path took him first to Decatur School, which is now the French school across from All Hallows Catholic Church at the top of Nautilus Street/La Jolla Scenic Drive. He attended there through the fifth grade.

In the sixth grade, it was La Jolla Elementary or Bird Rock. (I wrote this in my notes, but I didn't note which one Gary went to!)

Connor Hobbs, a product
of Coach Gary Frank's baseball
program at LJHS.



No comments:

Post a Comment