Friday, August 17, 2018

LJ g golf: Chloe Kim

Viking golfer Chloe Kim,
a returning varsity top six
member, ready for practice
Thurs., Aug. 16. Kim is a
sophomore. (Photo by Ed Piper)
 
By Ed Piper

Chloe Kim, one of the returning top six players on the La Jolla High golf team, is enjoying the sport as she continues to develop her game.

"I love playing golf because it's relaxing," said the 5'5" sophomore Tuesday evening, August 14, after teammates left the Mission Bay Golf Course and she was headed to the noisy ball machine to get a bucket of balls to practice 30 minutes on her own.

Elaborating on the relaxation aspect, Kim said, "I think it (golf) is better than other sports that way. You're on a beautiful course, and your friends (teammates) are nice."

Keeping it simple reinforces the relaxing aspect of golf. "You just have to focus on the ball," she explained.

In the classroom, she enjoys history, math, and English. "I find history fascinating," she said, "things that happen. We were learning about the World Wars (and it was interesting)."

As far as her game, she said, "Right now I'm working on my woods--the biggest clubs (for my driving). My putting is getting better."

Answering the dessert question, Chloe said, "My favorite is probably strawberry chocolate cake."

"My favorite course is Torrey Pines," she said. "I grew up on that course."

Her dad is Peter, mother is Jean. Her sister Christie, 11, is entering the seventh grade at Muirlands Middle School.

No comments:

Post a Comment