Thursday, August 9, 2018

LJ Cheer: Yesy "Eyebrow"

Yesenia Ceja, senior
cheerleader for the
Vikings
(Photo by Ed Piper)
By Ed Piper

Yesenia Ceja, limited to crutches due to a sprained ankle while her La Jolla High cheer teammates work out, doesn't raise many eyebrows with attention-grabbing behavior.

In fact, the 17-year-old senior is part of Coach Cindee Russell's hand-picked trio of captains on the varsity squad, looking out for others, caring how others do. Fellow senior Caitlynn Wiscott is head captain, while Layla O'Laughlin is junior co-captain.

"Being on crutches, I've had a chance the last few days to sit by Coach and watch the team. I feel when the team gets discouraged.

"Sometimes she'll (Russell) give them a snack or something to encourage them. I've seen how that can help.

"I think my role on the team is kind of like team mom. The other day, I gave some of them ice that I had. It was a hot day. They were like, 'Thank you.' It picked them up. I think that's what I can contribute."

Ceja, whose last name means "eyebrow", says she hasn't quite stepped into this role. But she envisions it when asked by a reporter what her unique contribution to the team might be.

On the academic and career front, the self-described "shy" senior co-captain is interested in studying at the University of San Francisco in Santa Clara. "The whole San Francisco thing is one thing. But also they interested me with the opportunities to succeed, like support to be placed in internships to get job experience," she said, sweat beads forming as she propped herself on her crutches in the 86-degree afternoon sun, with the heat factor being higher on the artificial-turf softball field where Russell was running her troops through two-a-day practices.

"My mom says people feel comfortable talking to me, but I don't know," she said. Soon, with practice ended, a teammate picked her up piggy-back style and carried her up the stairs to the football field with the rest of the squad.

"I like science and biochemistry," Ceja said earlier. "I'm thinking premed--toward being a doctor. I'd like to be in family medicine, or ER. My mom has had two bosses who are models I think of. They are now like family to me. I look up to Dr. Gus Kuldau, and Dr. Mita Shaw."

Mom's name is also Yesenia. Dad is Oscar. Yesy's siblings include Priscilla, Yamileth, and Oscar from her dad's side, and Jonathan and Josefat, she being Josefat's younger sister, on her mom's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment