Saturday, December 5, 2015

LJ BB: Quotes

LJBB QUOTES

Eddie Parker, after the 65-30 season-opening win over Helix at Petco Park:

"It was a great feeling to start off our season knocking down a couple threes. In the first half of our game, the whole team was really clicking, both on offense and defense.

"But we need to get better at keeping up that effort throughout the game. Right now we're working on getting all of our new players up to speed in terms of plays and rotations, while at the same time adding in new information for the team to learn.

"We are having great effort throughout our team during practice, and it showed in our first game. We're all excited and look forward to a great season, hopefully ending with a deep playoff run."

Reed Farley, after La Jolla's first game (via text):

EP: Talk about what the team is doing well and areas for work.

RF: Right now, I think we are in a good position offensively and look like we can be very effective at that end. Where we need to improve the most is at the defensive end, especially on the defensive glass. Once we begin to get better at that end and begin to get on the same wavelength, we will see even better results, I believe.

EP: What are you focusing on in your role? When you set up the offense, what are you looking for? How do you try to involve others?

RF: I think, similar to last year, though I am playing the role of a point guard, I must still look for my shot for us to succeed. I look to find openings for anyone, myself included, and once I see an advantage I either get it to that person, or try to get myself that open look.

EP: When you aren't playing point guard and set up in the corner near the baseline, what do you try to do from that position?

RF: I like to see if I can set up a back cut when one of my teammates dribbles toward me. If not, I'll look to hit a corner jumper or pull-up.

EP: Who is a new member on varsity who you see a special contribution coming from?

RF: Well, each new member will be able to contribute something unique and important, but I think Nick Hammel can fill a Ladd (Castellano)-like role of shooter and slasher. After getting the nerves of his first game out Tuesday (Dec. 1), I think he can bring a lot to our team from now on, both offensively and defensively.

EP: What would you say to (sophomore) Quinn (Rawdin) to help him in his transition to a faster-paced game at the varsity level?

RF: He just needs to trust himself more and make quicker choices and be decisive when he does.


Copyright 2015 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment