Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Glory days: 'Legend' practices racquetball first time in 40-plus years

Yours truly, the author of this blog,
took a selfie Jan. 31 after swinging
a racquet in PE for the first
time since circa 1979-1980.


By Ed Piper

My mission: Substitute-teaching (at prime rates) at Westview High School.

My milestone: Using a racquetball racquet for the first time in over 40 years.

I was pretty stoked, and only as and after I was doing it as a P.E. sub for two days Jan. 27-28 did I realize how far it all went back.

I'm clearly a legend in my own mind.

The first day of subbing, I shot some baskets--having been a bball player in my day, and wanting to regain a little of my touch. (My arms were not powering the ball the way it came naturally for me in my teens and 20's.

'Legend' and his volleyball accoutrement
on site at the sand volleyball court.

Previously, on another subbing assignment, I was asked to act as an experiment guinea pig at Canyon Crest Academy (a high school in the San Dieguito district) by a student doing a survey--it was atrocious! I made two out of 10, where when I was actively playing over four decades ago I was an 80-percent shooter, even higher--120-plus free throws in a row shooting on my own. I was crestfallen and embarrassed.

Then, on my second day in P.E. at Westview, I had the thought: Why not try out some things I haven't done for a while? In the storage shed were racquets (a question I have is why does the word racquet have to be spelled the French way?), volleyballs, basketballs, footballs...

I spent several minutes regaining some semblance of a stroke on a three-wall racquetball court at the far end of the P.E. area I was supervising--while students fanned out doing similar: tennis, shooting baskets, kicking a soccer ball, and the like. I circulated, touched base with many of these ninth-graders, then wandered to my racquetball encounter.

Verdict: I can still power the ball off the front wall with my forehand. My right arm is working. What I don't have, and didn't have back then, is a backhand. I practiced changing the position of my body to align it to stroke the ball with my backhand. That worked a little better.

I recalled, and shared it with someone, how my then-girl friend, who prided herself on her tennis game, was furious after I beat her in tennis some 40-plus years ago. I did it using my considerable reach (I'm 6'5") and my conditioning back then--I was agile and able to dodge and run after balls that she tried to place away from me. Man was she furious! A non-tennis player who beat her. Not good. (That isn't why we broke up.)

The G.O.A.T. of reviving childhood sports activities?

Then, getting in the spirit of branching out and practicing long-lost activities, I returned the racquetball and tennis ball to the equipment shed. I grabbed a volleyball and headed over to the four sand volleyball courts in the opposite direction. Kids were still good. I kept an eye out, touched base with them again as needed. (The period was one hour, forty minutes in length, so I had no hurry.)

I picked one of the middle courts of the four, and served four balls--one bad into the net--right-handed. All good, all into the receiving area on the other side of the net. No one there to oppose me.

To make clear, I never played volleyball for a team back in the day. I probably played a little in P.E. as a kid in school.

I took selfies (which I never do) of me with the racquet, me with the volleyball... The basketball, too.

Oh, and in between, I asked a student how the heck to reach across my cellphone to take a selfie of me holding a ball in the other hand. He reminded me that I didn't have to touch the circle on the screen to take the photo--I could also use one of the side buttons for volume to click the shot. See, I told you I don't take selfies!

Former playground legend in the 'City
Game' who once played in a tournament
in the giant SOP arena in Mexico City.
Our guard, Tito, stole the ball with
52 seconds left and scored to win
the tourney title. (Boys and girls,
there was not shot clock back then.)


I finished up by just practicing throwing a rubber football in a decent spiral against the fence near a lot of my students' activities. That way I could do another "George Plimpton" (look it up) activity while supervising my students, who didn't need supervising at all. They were great kids who kept busy having fun and playing tennis, basketball, racquetball, and so forth.

A good day had by all. Forty-plus years spanned. Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment