Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Prep sports: Protect the cranium

By Ed Piper

I'm not trying to be heretical, but a thought struck me the last several days as I substitute-taught in the San Dieguito Union High School District and the realization sank in that, not only San Dieguito Academy, but also Canyon Crest Academy do not have football programs.

How simple. You avoid the whole issue of CTE, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, of which there is mounting evidence.

Now, Tyler Roach and his assistant coaches in the La Jolla High program are good people. This article is not intended to be a knock on them.

Nor on the volunteer coaches who train kids in La Jolla in the youth football program. I've talked to some of those people, interviewed them, gone to practice, and observed them in action. They really care about the young men they're coaching. They do a great job.

But the past Friday, October 13 (Friday the 13th--maybe a goblin took over my mind), someone explained to me that the CCA Ravens don't have a football program. I have covered La Jolla playing CCA in other sports for years. I have subbed at CCA regularly for the past year and a half.

But I never quite got it in my mind that the flagship sports at that public school on Highway 56, almost smack dab next to Cathedral Catholic High School (with Westview and Torrey Pines high schools a short distance either direction along the 56), have been basketball, volleyball, and other sports all these 10 years of CCA's existence.

The way it was explained to me was, "Well, SDA already had that situation (no football program). So when CCA was started a decade ago, the same idea was brought over."

No matter how good of people you have running your football program, the inevitable questions are going to be asked, with increasing frequency, why have football for young people at all, when the evidence for brain trauma is being documented as we speak?

The NFL supports flag football leagues for children. If that doesn't tell you something, nothing will.

I think pro football will last for years to come, but more and more, we're going to see high school teams struggle to field enough players. Parents rightfully have to be asking, is it really worth it for my child to play a sport that could endanger their brain, when there are lots of other alternatives for recreation out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment