Thursday, October 19, 2017

LJ FB: Oxy has Viking alumni

By Ed Piper

Occidental College, a well-respected four-year university in Eagle Rock, near Glendale, has cancelled the last three games of its football season. The Tigers, according to a news report, didn't have enough players to field a team for its Homecoming game recently, due to injuries and lack of recruits.

Two former La Jolla High standouts, Carlton O'Neal and Anthony Stanley, have been members of the Oxy football team. Their status in the program at present is unknown.

As a college freshman wanting to attend a top educational institution, I enrolled at the Los Angeles-area university and played one year of junior varsity basketball. After the school year, I moved back home to Ventura County and transferred to Moorpark Community College, where I played my sophomore year of college basketball.

I was 17 years old most of my freshman year. I was young and immature, and had never lived away from home. The year away was painful for me, as it is for many college freshmen. But instead of going all in, I took a job at the State Parks at Leo Carrillo State Beach and Mugu State Beach near my home in Camarillo, and that was all she wrote--midway through the year I began commuting every weekend the 55 miles home (done by hitchhiking), and basically checked out on the last part of my Occidental College experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment