Saturday, August 19, 2017

LJ FB: J.O'N.

Johnathan O'Neal parts ways with Defensive Coordinator
Collin Eardley on the sidelines during the scrimmage
after Eardley touched base with his defender
on a detail. (Photo by Ed Piper)


By Ed Piper

Johnathan O'Neal, one of several La Jolla football players playing both ways, and one of some senior returners that the coaching staff is leaning on for leadership this season, is stretching himself beyond his comfort zone.

"I'm really focusing on vocalizing as a leader," says O'Neal, a persistent smile on his face during the interview. How positive is this guy? It's amazing.

O'Neal, who grabbed a thrice or more of passes from Trevor Scully during the Vikings' scrimmage against Mission Bay Aug. 18, admits vocalizing this way doesn't come naturally for him. He's not a yeller, rah-rah loud guy. Greg Nelson II, a sophomore, played some of that audible role during La Jolla's practice game against the Bucs.

"No," O'Neal admits. "When I played Pop Warner football when I was younger, that was an area I was short on."

Maybe it partly comes from being the kid with two older siblings in the family, plus dad and mom. Everybody else is older and maybe able to hold court easier.

But he says now, as a senior, he is extending himself by intentionally playing a more vocal role on the field. It's for the good of the team. And it will certainly expand him as a person.

Asked for an update on what else he's focusing on, the 6-foot senior says, "I've taken it upon myself to learn every position. The younger players text me and ask me questions, and I'll answer them back."

What is he running through his mind as he goes about game action? "I go over scenarios pre-play--what could happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment