Friday, August 11, 2017

Celebrity Lenz

By Ed Piper

It's pretty funny, but with my post a week or so ago about Otto Lenz, an up-and-coming basketball player at La Jolla High, people started clicking on it and the number of hits at this point is 66, pretty high for my blog.

An earlier post, a couple of years ago, about Lea O'Haire, a La Jolla High cheerleader, went viral (comparatively). Within days--I think students see a post, then text or message their friends about it--there were tens, 50, I don't remember how many hits Lea's feature article went to. I don't know, was she some kind of cult figure? (I'm joking.)

With Lenz, I'm not sure why the article became so popular. I'll have to ask his teammates. I made some clever remarks, like "the man, the myth, the legend" under my photo of him. But that many more hits than my other entries? I don't know why.

Isn't that true with our world of social media today: why people do some of the things they do? I say this all with a smile on my face. Have a good day.

UPDATE: After writing this post originally, I looked up how many clicks Lea's feature got: 358. That's all a cheerleader thing. Because two other cheerleaders I also wrote short interview features on got over a hundred hits each. So, that's it--cheerleaders are very social.

No comments:

Post a Comment