Wednesday, August 9, 2017

LJ b BB: Digging Diego

Guard Diego Solis (center), flanked by teammates
(L-R) Behzad Hashemi (foreground), Jacob Duffy,
Evan Brown, and Gabe Solis (foreground).
(Photo by Ed Piper) 


By Ed Piper

The story behind part of Diego Solis' effective shooting for the La Jolla High varsity this summer--despite his being a rising freshman--is the following:

"When I was younger, I was shy playing with older kids," Diego says.

"In the fifth grade, I broke my (right) ankle. I shot. That's all I did." And the lefty's outside shot got better and better.

Until this past spring and summer, when Solis, the younger brother of teammate Gabe, a junior, shot very efficiently.

For example, Diego hit a three from one of his sweet spots, outside the arc to the left of the top of the key, in the second quarter against Olympian in a game in the Montgomery High league July 12.

That came after his layup to put the Vikings up, 13-8, early in the quarter. This all shows the confidence and assurance that Solis has displayed--and all before he even matriculates at La Jolla High.

The southpaw's three built an 18-10 red-and-black lead midway through the stanza. The Vikings held on that night for a 53-40 win, even though they led the Eagles by as much as 18 late in the game.

Solis, who his dad says is "extremely shy"--though you wouldn't know it in a one-on-one interview--really put on the dog later in the second period: He stripped the ball defense, then took it in for a layup. 25-12 advantage.

Do you do anything right-handed?

"I brush righty."

Write?

"Lefty."

"I kick righty, though."

A dessert you like?

"Oreo ice cream."

Food?

"Burritos."

Did you grow up in San Diego?

"Yes."

You look comfortable and effective on the basketball court.

"I have good teammates," he says modestly, "and my coach has given me opportunities."

Have you always been confident out there?

See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment