Thursday, March 23, 2017

LJ b golf: Remley

By Ed Piper, Jr.

James Remley was one of the 30 or so underclassmen who accepted Coach Ryan Lindenblatt's invitation last fall to try wrestling for the first time and benefit from the physical training and the camaraderie that would result.

"I think my favorite part is the exercise," said Remley, a two-sport enthusiast who is playing on the La Jolla High golf team this spring. "Going to practice everyday and giving it my best." He wrestled at 106 pounds.

Remley, shorter than his teammates on Coach Aaron Quesnell's golf squad, said he often plays with the coach in the foursome that follows the six team members playing competitively in that day's match. The golf match Wed., March 22, was against St. Augustine at Riverwalk Friars. The freshman walked the course, but didn't play officially.

But a reporter heard his story about going out for wrestling last fall, and wanted to hear more. "It was really fun," said the amiable young man. "I won two matches (of 20). But it was fun. I had a lot of friends in wrestling, too."

He reserved compliments for Lindenblatt, who he doesn't even have for class. "Coach Lindenblatt talked to me at lunch. I don't know how he knew me. I think my friends who have him in class told him I was interested. He said it would really help the team if I went out.

"He's a really good coach. It was impressive how he handled all that: his classes, coaching duties. He's also in the military reserve."

Remley was part of a swell of young athletes who went out for wrestling for the first time at La Jolla this year, bringing new energy and setting the program up for growth and potential next year. A coach in another school's program heard the story of the 30 new recruits, and at the City Conference Championships hosted by La Jolla in early February talked about the good things that growth means for LJHS wrestling.

No comments:

Post a Comment