Saturday, December 27, 2014

Water polo: "Walshism"

I have a confession to make, here two days after Christmas

I am connected to "Walshism".

Walshism is embodied, in this case, in the person of Jack Walsh, a water polo player for Coronado.

The reason I'm "confessing" this (tongue-in-cheek) is because he played a major role in beating La Jolla's water polo team in the fall. And I'm related to him.

I'm sorry, Vikingland fans.

Walsh the water polo player is the nephew of my son-in-law Brendan.

I remember last fall when Brendan came home and informed me, as I was spending time with the grandkids at his house, that he had attended the Coronado-La Jolla match, and that the Islanders had powdered my boys.

It's all in the family.

The reason I'm part of the Viking family is that my granddaughter, Alexis, graduated from LJHS, Class of 2008, and she was a varsity cheerleader for four years. That's how I got started taking photos of La Jolla High sports (and cheer).

Now, the other wing of the family has engendered a water polo star who plays for one of the Vikings' enemies. Ouch. It's a mini-version of the North vs. the South, the Hatfields vs. the McCoys.

Actually, I thought I'd better write about it now, because it may be the last chance I have to do so. Jack was just named UT Academic Captain for water polo.

He was also named an Academic All-American in water polo by Water Polo magazine, according to the source.

His photo in the announcement had him wearing black horned-rim glasses--just like the ones his uncle wore in photos taken during his schooldays.

Anyway, as I give best wishes to any Viking opponent, congratulations, Jack, and well wishes, but not too much--at least if you ever face La Jolla High again. But I don't think he will, at least in water polo, because he is a graduating senior. (I don't know if he plays any other sports.)

At the family brunch on Christmas Day, Brittany Black, Jack's cousin, was present as part of the host family, gracious enough to invite the in-law grandparents over. Brittany played for La Jolla coach Kristin Jones in soccer in her junior year, which was 2012-13. This is the first time I have met her. She now attends Cal.

Brittany wore uniform number 6, and played midfielder.


Copyright 2014 Ed Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment