Monday, December 8, 2014

LJ g soccer: Helen coming back strong

Viking keeper Helen Lee leaps to ensure
that a La Costa Canyon attempt safely
flies over the goal Dec. 5.
(Photo by Ed Piper)


Helen Lee spent eight months sidelined from playing sports after tearing her anterior cruciate ligament in her left leg. She missed the La Jolla High volleyball season this past fall as a result, as well as sports last summer, after sitting out the end of basketball season last winter as that team went to the CIF Division III Finals. She also missed lacrosse season last spring, her favorite sport.
 
Says Lee of her starting position as goalkeeper on the Viking soccer team, "I love jumping and diving to make saves, so usually when I'm in goal I'm having a lot of fun. I play my best when I'm having the most fun."
 
Such a positive presence on the team, even while injured--Helen kept the scorebook during games in volleyball--Helen says, "As the soccer team starts the season, I try to keep in mind how lucky I am to be playing this game.
 
"If we win or lose, at least I am able to play. Having not been able to play competitive sports like this for eight months has made me so humble. I am so incredibly lucky every time I am able to step on a field and play a sport I love with coaches I respect and a team I love."
 
Describing her game as a keeper, she says, "I think one of my strengths is that having played soccer as a midfielder before, I am able to understand what is going through the striker's mind as they shoot the ball.
 
"Likewise, as the ball moves downfield or the ball is crossed, I can react quicker because I can understand the patterns of play."
 
Lee (purple jersey in background) listens with
teammates to La Jolla coach Kristin Jones
in halftime talk during Maverick game.
(Photo by Ed Piper)
 
 
Her left knee, understandably, is on her mind as she comes back on the athletic field. She is very honest about that. "My knee is always a concern when I'm playing, and it always will be. At first, I was definitely hesitant on diving on my left side, but it hasn't caused me any trouble at all.
 
"What irritates it the most is punting." She is a lefty punter.
 
Regarding academics, the La Jolla High junior says, "My favorite classes right now are my AP U.S. History class and my AP Psychology class. They both are very interesting to me."
 
Looking ahead two years, Helen says, "In terms of college, my dream college would be one that is highly academic but still has lots of school spirit. My hope would be that I could play either club or even school lacrosse at whatever college I attend. I'd love to be as involved in college as I am in high school.
 
"I'm very interested in health and studying anything about the human body, whether it's mentally or physically. Career-wise, there (are) just too many (choices) to choose from for now."
 
She spends a lot of time alone in goal while her teammates are downfield battling on offense. How does she occupy her mind to stay engaged? "I come up with different scenarios in my head of what I think they (opponents) might do. Who their strongest players are. Whether they're more likely to attack from the side or down the middle.
 
"I just try to be as prepared as possible for any situation when the ball gets close."

Copyright 2014 Ed Piper
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment