Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Snapshot: Gabby Quiggle, varsity cheerleader

Gabby Quiggle, one of at least two tumblers or gymnasts on the LJHS Varsity Cheer squad along with Lydia Trautmiller (rear right). (Photo by Ed Piper)
 
Gabby Quiggle, a junior at La Jolla High
 
Food: When I was young, I became addicted to popcorn shrimp at Joe's Crab Shack.
Music group: Linkin Park
Song: "Counting the Stars" by OneRepublic. It's a love song. It's about how unimportant money is, and how it should be about trust.
Educational plans: I'm a junior, but one place I'm thinking about is the University of Oregon. It's not too far from home. I like the weather up there. I grew up in San Diego. My dad Scott is a computer technician, and I was thinking of taking a computer course next year. I took Computer Graphics already. Another (possible area of concentration) is dermatology. I really like physiology.
Dream job: Dermatologist.
Historical figure: Columbus. He brought everything back to live in America. That's where I live today, and without him it wouldn't be the way it is today. We're pretty free.
On her tumbling and gymnastics: I've been doing gymnastics since I was six. I don't know how I got into it. I guess one day I told my mom, "I want to do that." As I got older, I went to the YMCA and then I got pretty good. Then I started going to this place in Poway, and they really expanded my tumbling success. Then I found cheerleading, and that's more tumbling than anything. Gymnastics is a lot of variation, like the uneven bar and the beam and the floor.
Comment on LJHS cheer squad: I feel like the cheer team really helps me with stress. During practice, we stunt a lot. That is really exhausting. But it's not just about the exercise. I have a lot of close friends on that team, and I have really close bonds with them now. I want to keep in touch with them when I'm older.
 
 
Copyright 2013 Ed Piper


No comments:

Post a Comment