Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Snapshot: Anthony Stanley, linebacker

Anthony Stanley (43), junior linebacker, La Jolla Vikings. (Photo by Ed Piper)


I first became aware of Anthony Stanley, a linebacker for La Jolla, at his older brother James' graduation party, a Polynesian celebration of dance and food. Since then, Anthony has grown into one of the leaders of the Vikings' defensive unit this season.

Why do you enjoy Polynesian dancing? Being that it's my mom's group (and school), I've grown up with it my whole life. I teach there five days a week, on top of football.
Favorite food: Hawaiian food - teriyaki chicken
Music: Hawaiian. There isn't any kind of music I don't like.
Song: The La Jolla High Alma Mater
Inspirational song/saying: "Reach for the moon, and even if you miss, you land among the stars." If you give it your all, you're still going to be striving. Keep going.
Figure you admire: I go for the Polynesian side. Junior Seau. I play the same position. Growing up, I always tried to mimic him. I used to be his number 55. I actually knew him on a first-name basis. Our family was really close to him.
Goals: I want to play football on the next level. I want to get my education. I want to major in biology--biochemist. I want to become a doctor. I wouldn't mind being a (family) practitioner or coming up with cures.


Copyright 2013 Ed Piper


No comments:

Post a Comment