Wednesday, May 31, 2023

LJ track: Janice Wiser the bomb in 1974

By Ed Piper

With all the talk about Viking sprinter Payton Smith's 53.86 mark in the 400 meters at the state finals May 27, who was Janice Wiser, who according to local track authority Steve Brand ran the second fastest time in San Diego history in 1974?

There is Wiser, listed second only to Morse's Monique Henderson (2000), with a 53.53 time in the 400 meters. Henderson stands atop the rankings with a 50.74.

What's kind of fun is that Karly Zlatic, who I saw throughout her career at LJHS, is further down the list for her 56.16 time in 2012. She and her brother Zac were good athletes in Vikingland, and their father pushed for my photo of her brother to be published in the La Jolla Light--thereby starting my career in local media with my camera (later my keyboard, as well).

Paul Byrne, track coach at La Jolla High, says he doesn't know anything more about Wiser. Maybe an old-timer can fill us in. That is way before my time in San Diego, which didn't begin until I moved here in 1993.

Whitney Schmucker of La Jolla ranks in between all of those, with a time of 55.75 in 2001. That precedes my coverage of LJHS sports (which began in fall 2004, with my granddaughter's cheer squad participation).

No comments:

Post a Comment