Sunday, April 16, 2023

Cerveny Invite: Blind runner sets record in 100

By Ed Piper

A blind male student-athlete, Chris Adamson, ran the 100 meters at the Jim Cerveny Invitational Sat., April 15. In so doing, the ninth-grader set a meet record of 16.45 seconds. The result is posted on Athletic.net, listed under "Para 100 Meters".

The stadium voice announced the record. I made some comment to those around me on the infield. A student replied, "That took a lot of courage." It sure did.

I tried in vain to locate the victorious runner, who someone said must have run with a tether attached to his helper, who ran alongside him. Try as I might, I could not find the athlete. I wanted to take a photo of Adamson.

One official I went up to said, "He's not near the finish line. He walked up there" (pointing toward the starting line near the entrance to the stadium at Mission Bay High).

I was looking for someone with a tether walking alongside someone else. No dice. My goal is to either take a photo, or find a photo, of the new record-holder.

Saturday was Chris's sixth meet. He has run both the 100- and 200-meter races this spring. He has bettered his "PR" (personal record) in the 100 from 17.14 seconds (March 18 at the Elmer Runge Invitational) to the new record of 16.45. His times have steadily gotten better over the past five weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment