Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Prep girls flag FB: '50 teams'

By Ed Piper

The CIF's "newest sport", girls' flag football (being pushed by the NFL for equity, etc.), now expects to field at least 50 teams from 50 schools in the San Diego Section, according to media reports.

The big issue will be who will referee, as boys' football last fall had to resort to playing on alternate days besides Friday to supply enough officials at the varsity, JV, and novice levels.

One idea is that women will be recruited to become football referees. (Apparently, not many women officiate football at present.)

Other questions, since the sport is not established yet, involve who will coach, when will practice occur amid an already busy sports training schedule on local campuses, and the like.

I totally support it. I'm all for girls and boys to pursue the sports they want to try, and pursue.

Football is already such a major part of our North American culture, that the flag variation isn't just coming out of nowhere. My brother and I played flag football in P.E. in junior high and high school.

(I hated P.E. in high school, because being a big guy, already spoiled with having an active role on baseball and basketball teams I went out for for our high school, I was inevitably not part of the "in group" of athletes who decided who passed the ball, by whom, to whom--that's why I hated P.E., even though I loved sports and physical activity. I was told to "go block", which is pretty boring when you never get to touch the ball.)

No comments:

Post a Comment