Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Track push revisited

By Ed Piper

There has been further discussion on U.S.A. Track's push to make their sport the fifth most popular sport in America. (See previous post.)

Last week, a wag on a local sports talk show allowed as how "the (baseball) All-Star Game was just background noise" at a family event he attended. (This year's All-Star Game was played last Tues., July 19, at Dodger Stadium.)

I thought the ASG was an entertaining, fun event. (I watched the game all the way through, something I don't do normally.) The beauty was in the eye of the beholder.

For track, hurdler/sprinter superstar Sydney McLaughlin posted more great times as the World Championships--held for the first time in the U.S.--concluded Sun., July 24. The event was held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon.

Bring us more elite events like the World Championships, and I don't see why track can't regain the foothold it held years ago in our country. As I mentioned, back in the day I attended the L.A. Times Indoor Games at the Forum in Inglewood. There was another top event in the 70's that was held in Southern California.

I'm not even a track person, knowing the in's and the out's of the sport. But I enjoy it enough to pay to attend meets.

The sheer athleticism and grace that runners, jumpers, and vaulters exhibit are drawing-points for me. There are many other fans much more knowledgeable about track and field who continue to be enthusiasts who will be drawn into this renewed promotion of the sport.

USATF's schedule includes five top meets held around the U.S. next year. I say bring 'em on. The media will comply, and promote the athletes who stand out. Carl Lewis was a big name in the glory days of track. Usain Bolt is legendary for his 100-meter times. There are newer athletes waiting for their time in the limelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment