Monday, July 18, 2022

Snapdragon: Interesting

Snapdragon Stadium, viewed over traffic on Friars Road
in eastern Mission Valley, begins to assert its profile as the
2022 SDSU football season approaches.


By Ed Piper

Sitting in my living room watching the pre-derby coverage for the MLB Home Run Derby from Dodger Stadium, I am putzing around doing stuff with my plants, doing some homework for a class I'm taking on Zoom, and contemplating my next article for the La Jolla Village News in two weeks. (It'll be on my travels in the last 45 years taking me to the top deck of Estadio Azteca in Mexico City for the Liga Mayor semifinals in 1984, coverage of the Santa Barbara Spikers pro volleyball team in 1977, and other anecdotes.)

But a recent jaunt to Mission Gorge two days ago yielded my first view ever of the new Snapdragon Stadium, set for San Diego State football and pro soccer, I think. It kind of sneaked up on me as I circled around from Mission Valley to take the I-5 north, exited on Friars Rd. West, and headed down Friars Road to get gas at Costco.

Snapdragon looks modern. I was impressed how close it is built next to Friars Road. "The Snap" is smaller than the old Jack Murphy/Qualcomm. Obviously. It stands out with the light towers sticking up from the stands.

I feel for all the native San Diegans who grew up here--I'm a transplant--and have gut reactions over the Chargers leaving, the Padres' former home being demolished to make room for the new facility, and all the changes one experiences through the years as a sports fan.

Being from another area, I grew up--and still feel this way--believing that sports are meant to fun, that other teams besides my own are worthy rivals and worth watching. So I don't get into the attitude that "My team is great, and other teams suck"; when I wear Padres shorts, I truly enjoy it, as much as I do wearing Yankees, Royals, Nats gear, besides Dodgers.

Basically, I'm a good sport. I exhibit solid sportsmanship. That doesn't mean that I have all my attitudes and views worked out as the "healthiest" sports fan in the world. On the other hand, I've never bought into the taunting, ribbing, putting down of fans from other teams--I think a lot of that is cultivated through social media, which often takes on a negative tone.

My wife was born in St. Louis. I looked forward to going to a Cardinals game at Busch Stadium several years ago with her favorite uncle, Uncle Rudy. That wasn't in some way a diminishing of the support I give to the team from the area I grew up.

I hope that my sports coverage for local high school teams reflects a pro-active stance for the value of athletics in general. I don't take a homer stance. That has never rung true to me. Am I making any sense?

So, my first view of Snapdragon was enlightening. I hope to some day attend a sports event at the new facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment