Wednesday, April 20, 2022

MLB Extra Innings: Update

By Ed Piper

You must think I'm a shill for Extra Innings, with my second post in a row. I'm not.

I'm just learning the app, going through all the stuff you learn as you begin using a new medium--in this case, viewing "every game" (= most) of the 2022 MLB season.

I just talked (before subbing at an area school) with a staff member here who has had MLB Extra Innings for some seasons.

I told her what I've learned the first week of my using it:

--With games designated "blacked out" due to local availability elsewhere, i.e., the Padres primarily, I click on those game anyway and sometimes I can view them.

Last week, I did this with a Padres game. "Blacked out." A couple of innings later, someone had flipped a switch and I could now view the game. Weird. No apparent pattern to the availability.

--Another team I've received the "blacked out" message for, the Dodgers, likewise doesn't seem to follow any kind of a pattern. I'll read the "It has been determined that this game is available in your viewing area...", etc., etc. Yet when I click on the game (on a menu of the day's games, with emblems of each team playing displayed--it's kind of cool, and very easy to access) a couple of innings later, voila!, the game pops up.

--One thing I don't like is Apple.TV. The reason is, I'm looking at my favorite team's games (los Doyers), and I can view such-and-such a game.  But--on one night (or day) this week, the broadcast belongs to good ol' Apple.TV, and I can't get it! Frustrating.

I can either sign up for Apple.TV for $4.99 a month, not a lot of money, but it's one more expense. And one more bother. I don't want to subscribe to Apple.TV for anything else, so I would have to remember, if I paid for the channel during the season, to cut it off once the season ends. I don't want to do it.

--My friend, the staff member here, said that she and her husband would get the Dodgers' blackout message in Las Vegas when they went there. It seemed kind of corny to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment